Wednesday 7 December 2011

It's all about sharing the love

Cold turkey is out and Christmas ham is in. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas everywhere I go. Last Thursday I participated in my first Monroe Christmas parade. I have to say the some 70 floats of Christmas lights followed by bands and various other groups was impressive on the spirit scale. The weather was a little bit frightening next to my South Georgia usual temperatures back home but I managed to layer up and stay warm.

The courthouse lawn is decorated with a beautiful live Christmas tree dazzled with ornaments and lights. Not to mention the lovely spiral laced trees full of lights that are on both sides of Broad Street.

This time of year is about so many things it's hard to lose sight of its one purpose — sharing the love you have for those around and the ability to do so.

Usually around this time for the past four years I would have been finishing finals and heading home to Bainbridge for the family activities and community involvement.

Every Christmas for the past three years I've helped with a local radio station on their Secret Santa project. Each year I've seen lives changed and peoples selfless efforts supply children the smile they had been hoping and needing all year.

Such things as bikes and clothes along with toys are provided for these families every year through this program there.

I can remember my first year participating.

I was working with the station to see if broadcast was something I wanted to major in when I took on the responsibility of working with the Secret Santa project as well.

Santa personally delivered the presents we had worked to load and buy for these families.

I will never forget one little girl who asked santa for a bike. It was the only thing she wanted. When we rolled the bike out to her - she and her daughter were crying.

The spirit of giving is the season's message. There are so many around us spending their last dime at this very moment, parents counting their budget and putting their needs to the side for the sake of their child's Christmas or all together unable to provide a Christmas.

While we are feasting someone in this community, in this state, in this country and the world are without.

Giving is the reason for the season.

Besides working with Secret Santa our family usually decorates the tree and I hate to say I'm missing that.

Ever since I was born I have had an ornament for every year. Each year we go to the hallmark store to pick an ornament out and it's a serious ordeal. Some of my picks have been from “the Grinch Stole Christmas” to Santa Claus fishing. They all have some sort of story behind them or purpose on why they were purchased.

Tradition is something that can keep a family together that one gathering point. Christmas is full of these opportunities. Whether it is from the huge meal that's laid on the table or the decorating of the Christmas tree, tradition brings the family together.

All together breathe in the Christmas spirit, enjoy the atmosphere, give what you can and be blessed for what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment